Ph.D, Habil., Full Professor
a corresponding member of Polish Academy of Sciences
Poznan University of Technology
Institute of Computing Science
ul. Piotrowo 2
60-965 Poznan, Poland
Phone: +48 61 6652933
Fax: +48 61 8771525
E-mail: Jerzy (dot) Stefanowski ( _at_ ) cs (dot) put (dot) poznan (dot) pl
Organization of workshops, special session, journal special issues
- Big Data Analysis: New Algorithms for a New
Society, Nathalie Japkowicz and Jerzy Stefanowski (Eds), Springer , 2016
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine: Knowledge Representation and Transparent and Explainable Systems: AIME 2019 International Workshops, KR4HC/ProHealth and TEAAM, Poznan,
Poland, June 26--29, 2019, Revised Selected Papers, Joint Editorship, Springer, 2019 2019
- Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery in Databases European Conference, ECML PKDD 2017, Skopje,
Macedonia, September 18--22, 2017, Proceedings, Part III, Joint Editorship Springer 2017,
- Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets, Data Mining and Granular Computing
11th International Conference, RSFDGrC 2007, Toronto, Canada, May 14-16, 2007. Proceedings, Spirnger, edited by Aijun An, Jerzy Stefanowski, Sheela Ramanna, Cory J. Butz, Witold Pedrycz and Guoyin Wang, 2007
- Nowoczesne systemy informatyczne dla malych i srednich przedsiebiorstw, Piotr Adamczewski i Jerzy Stefanowski (red) Wydawnictwo WSB Poznan 2006
Other WWW links
Machine learning and data mining. Proces of knowledge discovery. Induction of decision
rules, classification trees. Mutliple classifiers (ensembles). Handling imbalanced data. Data streams mining. Intepretable ML, Explanaible AI, Mining asociation rules and
sequence patterns. Document clustering. Web-mining and text mining. Rough
set theory. Data mining applications in medicine, technical diagnostics,
financial and management problems.
Major results are concerned with:
For more information see my publications.
induction of various types of decision rules for discovery and classification
creating multiple (esnelbles) classifiers, including generalizations of bagging and pairwise coupling
improving prediction of the minority class while learning from imbalance data,
- classification of concept drifting data streams,
attribute selection for classification systems,
handling numerical data in machine learning and data mining algorithms,
descriptive clustering of text documents and Web pages,
mining multi-dimensional, context sequence patterns,
rough set theory and rough set based learning systems,
generalized rough set approach to handle incomplete data tables,
application of machine learning and knowledge discovery approaches to medical
technical diagnostics, pattern recognition and
Other Scientific Activities:
- Member of Program Committees for conferences: SIAM Data Mining
2017, 2016, 2015;
ECML/PKDD 2022, 2020 (Area Chair), 2019, 2018, 2017 (Track Chair) 2016, 2015 (Area Chair), 2014, 2013,
2011, 2008, 2007; IJCAI2020, IJCAI 2018 (Senior PC), 2017, 2015,2013; AAAI 2019, DS 2021, 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015; ISMIS 2020, 2018, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011,
2009, 2008; DaWaK 2008, 2007, 2006; CORES 2017, 2015, 2013, CBMS 2016, JRS2014, RSCTC (all editions till 2013); RSKT 2009, 2007;
KNWS (since 2006); HAIS 2012, 2011; ICAISC 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2010, 2008, 2006;
TPD 2007, 2005; Mini-Euro 2005; RSFDGrC 2003; IDDM-2002; SDP 2002; JSAI
2001 and many others in the past.
One of PC Chairs of JRS 2007, Toronto.
Nectar Track Co-Chair ECML/PKDD 2017, Skopje.
Reviewed papers for journals like Journal Machine Learning Research,
Machine Leaning Journal, IEEE Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering, ACM Transactions on
Knowledge Discovery in Data,
Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems, Journal of Intelligent
Information Systems, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning
Transactions on Cybernetics,
Transactions on Rough Sets (Member of the Editorial Board), IEEE
Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems,
Journal of Applied Intelligence,
Pattern Analysis and Applications,
and Knowledge Engineering Journal,
of Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis, European Journal of Operational
Soft Computing, Engineering Applications of AI, Fundamenta
Informaticae, Computational Management Science, Int. Journal of
Intelligent Systems in Accounting Finance and Management, Computational
Intelligence, Pattern Recognition Letters and FCDS
+ many others.
Reviewer of 27 Ph.D Theses and 8 Habilitations.
- Research Supervision:
- Current Supervision of Ph.D. Students:
An open place for new candidates
- Past Supervision of Ph.D. Theses:
Dawid Weiss : Descriptive Clustering as a Method for Exploring Text Collections (defended Oct 13, 2006)
Radoslaw Ziembinski : Mining Context based Sequential Patterns (defended Sept 23, 2009)
Krystyna Napierala : Improving Rule Classifiers for Imbalanced Data
(defended March 13, 2013)
Dariusz Brzeziński : Block-based and Online Ensembles for Concept-drifting Data Streams (defended July 7, 2015).
Magdalena Deckert : Incremental rule learning and change detection in block based classifiers for data streams (defended November 24, 2015).
Mateusz Lango: What makes multi-class imbalanced problems difficult? An experimental study (defended March 1, 2022).
- I have been a supervisor of 78 Master Theses since 1994.
- Editor in Chief - journal Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences
- A corresponding member of Polish Academy of Sciences; IV Division - Engineering Sciences (elected since 2021)
- Member of Scientific Council of the Institute of Computer Science at Polish Academy of Sciences (elected since 2011)
- Member of Executive Board of Polish Artificial Intelligence Society (PSSI) since 2013
- Member of Advisory Board of Polish Artificial Intelligence Society (PSSI) since 2011
- Secretary of Executive Board of International Rough Set Society (2010-2011)
- President of Regional Wielkopolska Branch of PTI - Polish Information Processing
Society (since May 2005 till 2011).
If you have an urge to speak with me or pass your other messages, you can
Last changes - April 30, 2022